So you’ve overindulged at xmas and you’re feeling it… Do you need to lose a bit of weight? Want to feel lighter and get back into your jeans? With this simple cleanse you can do all of this and improve overall health at the same time. For best results, follow for one month (until you notice results) if you break before you notice results you’ll not make progress, then you can add a few treats in here and there but sticking mainly to the plan.
Firstly, you’ll need to adopt these healthy habits:
- You should leave at least 12 hours between finishing your evening meal and your breakfast. For example if you finish your dinner at 8pm you should eat your breakfast no sooner than 8am in the next morning. If you can do up to 14 or 16 hours on some days this will really help with weight loss. Water, Black coffee and black tea are all okay.
- Try to do REGULAR light exercise, like a brisk walk before you break your fast. Avoid strenuous exercise whilst on the cleanse.
- Drink at least 8 large glasses of water a day. My rule is “Drink before you are thirsty” if you get thirsty you are already dehydrated. Coconut water is excellent if you can get it, and very hydrating.
- Add a the juice of half a lemon to water and drink first thing in the morning. Repeat before dinner.
- Fill up on raw vegetables or a green smoothie before meals.
- Ideally, have a light breakfast, i.e smoothie, fruit or oatmeal, a larger lunch (from the ingredients I’ll list below) and a lighter evening meal of a salad/vegetables + protein.
- Do not allow yourself to get too hungry.
- Take snacks everywhere. Best snacks are: Oatcakes (check they are wheat free), almonds, Nut butter + apple.
Sip on lemon infused water through the day, this is very cleansing and will help surpress appetite.
Drink a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda in a glass of water after each meal.
Needs something sweet? Have a piece of fruit, a handful of raisins or some dark chocolate if you really need it (but not a whole bar).
Foods to fill up on:
- Nuts and seeds (including chia seeds)
- Nut butter
- Sweet potato and root vegetables
- Quinoa, millet, brown rice
- Green vegetables i.e, broccoli, spinach, kale etc.
- Use Coconut oil for cooking and olive oil + lemon juice + pinch salt for dressing.
What to avoid:
- Sugar, all sugar substitutes
- All processed foods
- Dairy: Milk, butter, cheese
What should you be eating? Smoothies, large salads packed with seeds and root vegetables, baked sweet potatoes, home-made soups, dishes made with beans and lentils.
If you eat meat then chicken, eggs and fish can be added to your salads in moderation.
Typical daily menu:
Upon waking: Half the juice of a lemon in large glass of water.
Black coffee or Green tea
One – four hours after waking:
Green smoothie consisting of: 1/2 banana or apple, spinach or greens, 1/2 avocado, ice, water. Optional: desert spoon of pea protein.
Snack: Pack of oatcakes or carrot sticks.
Lunch: Large green salad with steamed broccoli, hummus, pumpkin seeds with olive oil/lemon/salt dressing or 1/2 avocado.
Snack: Handful almonds
Dinner: Mixed bean salad with olive oil dressing.
With plenty of water, coconut water and herbal teas throughout the day!